The department of Mechanical Engineering was established in the year 1979 and its undergraduate program B.E.(Mech) is recognized by AICTE. The department has well equipped laboratories and is blessed with highly qualified, experienced & dedicated faculty. It has facilities for materials research and automotive research related to combustion, emissions and performance. It has successfully executed several industrial consultancy projects funded by organizations like Department of Scientific & Industrial Research(DSIR), Department of Science and Technology(DST), Karnataka Pollution Control Board to name a few. Striving for academic excellence by imparting quality technical education we also mould other essential human traits like discipline, moral values, leadership qualities in our graduate students enabling them to become competent engineers by the end of their course. The department also offers a post graduate program M.Tech(Thermal Power Engineering).
DR. R. HARISH KUMAR
Professor & Head
Vision of the Department
To carve technically proficient and competent Mechanical Engineering Graduates capable of addressing the needs of the society and the nation.
Mission of the Department
- To impart quality technical education in the core area of Mechanical Engineering.
- To inculcate Industrial practices for better professional growth.
- To imbibe ethical values, promote entrepreneurship and impart soft skills and teamwork capabilities.
- To ensure self-learning capabilities with an aptitude for research mostly focusing on societal needs
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO – 01: Provide students with sound foundation in mathematical, scientific and engineering fundamentals necessary to formulate, solve and analyze problems in the core/allied areas of Mechanical Engineering.
- PEO – 02: Provide graduates with competency in the synthesis, modeling and analysis of mechanical/thermal/fluid data, assemblies and systems, research and consultancy in core areas of mechanical engineering, ensuring noticeable social impact.
- PEO – 03: Promote awareness about Professional Ethics, inculcate skills for usage of software tools and prepare graduates of the program for continuous learning capabilities in interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary domains
Program Outcomes (POs)
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
Our Engineering graduates are able to
- PSO1: Automated/Additive Manufacturing–demonstrate knowledge and understanding of manual and automated assembly/manufacturing systems including additive manufacturing systems.
- PSO2: Entrepreneurship– recognize the need for and ability to engage in entrepreneurial activities
|Technical Talk||Department of Mechanical Engineering organised a Technical Talk on “Industrial Expectations & Practices” by Mr. Rajesh Lobo, Executive Plant Director, LM Wind Powers||2021-03-04|
|Mechanical Engineering Association||Inaugral program took place in “SSIT-STEP” building on 27/02/2021, the program was arranged by “Mechanical department” and “Industrial Engineering and Management”.||2021-02-27|
|WEBINAR||"HVAC / Startups / Job Profile / Internship Opportunities" in association with *Prinston Smart Engineers*||2020-11-06|
|WEBINAR||"Optimization of airbag design for better FMVSS226 results" in association with BETA CAE systems.||2020-11-05|
|WEBINAR||Department of Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Engineering Management department organized a webinar in co ordination with IGNOU on "FOLK-CAP Maths & Teaching-Learning Process"||2020-05-09|
|A talk||All lady faculties of department has attended a talk on "Women Health and Hygiene" by Dr. Rashmi, Ashwini Hospital, Tumkakuru, oraganised at SSIT||2019-11-29|
|Industrial visit||3rd semester Mechanical Engineering students visited Rajmane Industry private limited||2019-08-28|
|INTERNATIONAL EXHIBUTION||5th semester Mechanical Engineering students visited BIEC on Agritech||2019-08-28|
|Industrial visit||4th semester Mechanical Engineering students visited Toyota kirloskar motor private limited||2019-06-12|
|Industrial visit||6th semester Mechanical Engineering students visited LM WIND POWER||2019-04-03|
|Industrial visit||4th and 6th semester of Mechanical Engineering visited THERMAL POWER PLANT, RAICHUR||2019-03-23|
|Industrial visit||2nd semester Mechanical Engineering students visited Tumkur Precision Works and Global Fine Punch||2019-02-14|
|Industrial visit||6th and 4th semester Mechanical Engineering students visited ACE Designers Foundry Division.||2019-02-14|
|BOOK PUBLISHED||Mr. Shankar Nag G L published a Text Book on "TURBOMACHINES"||2018-10-25|
|Industrial visit||3rd semester Mechanical Engineering students visited FITWEL TOOLS & FORGINGS||2018-09-18|
|MOU||Signed MOU with ACE Micromatics Machine Tools||2018-02-22|
|Industrial visit||6th semester Mechanical Engineering students visited ACE Designers Foundry and Assembly Division||2018-01-19|
|MOU||Signed MOU with Karnataka Small Scale Industries Association (KASSIA)||2017-12-02|
|1||M.Tech syllabus-2021 scheme- TPE||Download|
|2||M.Tech syllabus-2021 scheme-PDM||Download|
|4||III SEM B.E. SYLLABUS||Download|
|5||IV SEM B.E. SYLLABUS||Download|
|6||V SEM B.E. SYLLABUS||Download|
|7||VI SEM B.E. SYLLABUS||Download|
|8||VII SEM B.E. SYLLABUS||Download|
|9||VIII SEM B.E. SYLLABUS||Download|
|10||1st YEAR CAED syllabus||Download|
|11||1st YEAR MES SYLLABUS||Download|
Lab coming soon
Intellectual property rights (IPR):
- Rotating blade piston modification made in compression ignition IC engine as part of the DST sanctioned R&D Project – Indian patent number 319188 has been granted in 2019
- Motor cycle foldable helmet, commercialized for technology transfer, Patent application number 584/CHE/2010
- Conceptual design and development of injected two stroke cycle SI engine with improved scavenging – Patent application number 201841008289 filed on 19/01/2018 (Result awaited)
R&D Projects undertaken:
R&D projects sanctioned by Department of Science and Technology (DST), Pollution control board, Karnataka in Association with Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) have been successfully completed in the past decade.
“IMPROVISED WEED REMOVING MACHINE” by M.V.Anil Kumar and Batch mates has won Second Prize in TECHNODEA – 2018, State Project Exhibition. Also being presently used in his own farm. Video can be viewed in YOUTU.be
Reviewers in Reputed International Journals:
Many senior Faculty of the Department are listed under Reviewers in Reputed International Journals like ASME, Taylor& Francis, Elsevier etc.